Re: uuid type for postgres

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc, nathan wagner <nw(at)hydaspes(dot)if(dot)org>
Subject: Re: uuid type for postgres
Date: 2005-09-06 17:02:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Mark,

> I suggest that UUID be recommended in place of SERIAL for certain
> classes of applications, and that it therefore belongs in the core.
> UUID and SERIAL can be used together (although, once you have a UUID,
> it may not be useful to also have a SERIAL).

I think that, if you want to push a refactored UUID type for PostgreSQL
8.2, that you'd better separate your database design arguments from your
inclusion arguments.

For example, you might get my agreement that it would be useful to have a
UUID as a core type; you would *never* get my agreement to recommend using
UUID to newbies. I have seen *far* too many abuses of UUIDs in really
bad database design. People who use them should be experienced enough to
know what they're doing.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus