Re: uuid type for postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc
Cc: nathan wagner <nw(at)hydaspes(dot)if(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: uuid type for postgres
Date: 2005-09-06 15:38:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc writes:
> My personal preference is that the type be called 'uuid' and accepted
> into the core. Tom? Is their history on this issue?
> Should it remain an extension, or can be get it built-in?

There is pretty much zero chance of being accepted into contrib, much
less core, if the code isn't pure BSD license. (We used to be a bit
lax about that, but are trying to clean things up.) Nathan's comment
about starting with code that was sorta-BSD-with-advertising alarmed me.

However, you can certainly set up a pgfoundry project with code of any
license you like. That would be a good starting point anyway --- at
some point you'd have to convince people that there's enough demand
for the feature to justify putting it in core, and being able to point
to X number of downloads from pgfoundry would go a long way towards
making that case.