Re: could not find /usr/local/timezone

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: could not find /usr/local/timezone
Date: 2004-11-05 00:04:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom,

> This is fundamentally broken by the changes to support relocatable
> installs: PG now attempts to find the support files by relative paths
> from the place where the executable was found.

OK, I can see the tradeoff. Hmmm ... this means that we need something in
the Release Notes, I would think:

-- Symlinking the PostgreSQL binaries may cause problems with PostgreSQL
locating libraries and files, due to changes to make moving Postgres
directories easier. It is recommended that you use --exec-prefix when
compiling if you think you will need symlinks.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions