Re: Some developer FAQ links need updating

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Troels Arvin <troels(at)arvin(dot)dk>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some developer FAQ links need updating
Date: 2004-10-15 12:09:32
Lists: pgsql-docs

Am Freitag, 15. Oktober 2004 05:24 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> I don't think so. Some database say they are SQL99-compliant while not
> SQL-2003 compliant.

Clearly, consenting parties are free to agree on making their products conform
to any standards document, be it old or new or deprecated or silly. In the
same way, someone could make a product that is certified for PostgreSQL
7.2.1. Or someone could write an HTML-compliant browser, only that it might
be HTML 3.2.

Since we have limited resources, I think it's OK that we concentrate on
working with the latest official standards version. And because the latest
standards version is modularized and has individual feature lists and
packages, it would be a lot easier for us to look good, and it would be more
useful for users to, say, specify a workable set of requirements for their
applications.

Nevertheless, it would surely be useful to list SQL92 and SQL99 as older
versions, just like many people still code to HTML 4.01 instead of XHTML 1.1,
and just like many people still use PostgreSQL 7.2.1, inspite of it not
conforming to any standard, as far as I know.

--
Peter Eisentraut