Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: barwick(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de
Subject: Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =
Date: 2004-08-24 19:20:11
Lists: pgsql-general

David Wheeler wrote:
> That's not the trouble so much as that the locales can be badly

If we always followed the principle "X could be broken, so let's not use
X", then we would never get anything done. Instead, "X is broken, so
fix it".

> broken, and that they're useless for multilingual use.

I don't agree with that, but perhaps we differ in our interpretation of
"multilingual use". If you have special requirements, you can always
turn the locales off.

--
Peter Eisentraut