Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Cc: david(at)kineticode(dot)com, barwick(at)gmail(dot)com,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de
Subject: Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =
Date: 2004-08-24 22:41:45
Lists: pgsql-general
> David Wheeler wrote:
> > That's not the trouble so much as that the locales can be badly
>
> If we always followed the principle "X could be broken, so let's not use
> X", then we would never get anything done.  Instead, "X is broken, so
> fix it".

It's not a fair example IMO. We have many counter examples in our
source code itself which are trying to workaround verndors "minor"
bugs. Probably the point is X is important for almost everyone, while
the locale collation is not so for most of Linux uses (and thus for
vendors).  Unfortunately our voices are so small and does not reach to
verndors...

> > broken, and that they're useless for multilingual use.
>
> I don't agree with that, but perhaps we differ in our interpretation of
> "multilingual use".  If you have special requirements, you can always
> turn the locales off.

And they are forced to run initdb...
--
Tatsuo Ishii