Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: barwick(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org,Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de
Subject: Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =
Date: 2004-08-25 14:35:15
Lists: pgsql-general
At 09:20 PM 8/24/2004 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>David Wheeler wrote:
> > That's not the trouble so much as that the locales can be badly
>
>If we always followed the principle "X could be broken, so let's not use
>X", then we would never get anything done.  Instead, "X is broken, so
>fix it".
>
> > broken, and that they're useless for multilingual use.
>
>I don't agree with that, but perhaps we differ in our interpretation of
>"multilingual use".  If you have special requirements, you can always
>turn the locales off.

I think we've been through this before more than a year ago (or even earlier).

See: "default locale considered harmful"

IMO I suggested the default to be C, and I still think that's the best
default. But of course that's just my opinion.

What would be useful would be functions to allow selects etc to be ordered
as if under different query specifiable locales.

Example scenario would be an internationalized webmail application.
Depending on each user preferences, you'd have a different sort order for
their messages/addressbook.

In this case which locale should you pick for initdb? I'd say C.

In most environments where people aren't bothering about locale, C does
fine (and is likely to perform better). In environments where locales
matter having one often isn't enough.

In which case would picking the O/S locale as default be useful? Would
picking C be worse for the user in this case compared to if the user was
expecting C, and got the O/S locale instead?

Cheerio,
Link.