Asynchronous WRITES

From: andrew(at)pillette(dot)com
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Asynchronous WRITES
Date: 2004-02-23 20:13:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Java profiling with freeware tools can be a somewhat tricky thing, but my app appears to be spending quite a lot of time in java.net.socketWrite, or in other words, executing various INSERT statements.

If the DB is on another machine from the Java client, would I be able to get a speedup by INSERTing asynchronously? I don't care about the return value; if things get messed up the application will find out soon enough.

What would be the best way to do this in Java? I assume I have to create another Thread object to poll for DB INSERT statements, but if someone has already done this, I'd like to know what to look out for.