Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date: 2003-12-29 23:18:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

--- "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> >How would this differ from the existing Tutorial?
> >

> Well, for one it would tell the user how to start
> postgresql ;)
>
> Yes I know that it provides a link to chapter 14 but
> IMHO the
> tutorial should be inclusive. New users don't want
> jump all over a 1000 page document to figure out how
> just start the thing up and start tinkering with it.
> You shouldn't
> need anything else to get started. Thus it would be
> a self contained
> document.
>
> PostgreSQL for Dummies....

Isn't this what books are supposed to be for? i.e. to
fill in the gaps or provide the coverage, tips, howtos
etc. etc. that no-one really expects formal
documentation to cover. There are quite a few good
books out there, including two accessible online, with
links from the www.postgresql.org page (that must have
been modesty on your part ;-) ). Bruce's book, even
referring to an outdated version of PostgreSQL, still
gives a pretty good introduction for an SQL newbie in
how to get started.

We have plenty of good stuff already out there, the
issue here appears to be more one of presentation and
organization.

BTW, I suspect that the prospect of a "PostgreSQL For
Dummies" book would be a cause of horror and
consternation amongst the initiated ;-)