Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From: Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date: 2003-12-29 23:40:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

El Lun 29 Dic 2003 20:18, Jeff Eckermann escribió:

> Isn't this what books are supposed to be for? i.e. to
> fill in the gaps or provide the coverage, tips, howtos
> etc. etc. that no-one really expects formal
> documentation to cover. There are quite a few good
> books out there, including two accessible online, with
> links from the www.postgresql.org page (that must have
> been modesty on your part ;-) ). Bruce's book, even
> referring to an outdated version of PostgreSQL, still
> gives a pretty good introduction for an SQL newbie in
> how to get started.

I haven't read the latest review of Bruce's book, but I can recall that the
original version started with:

In this chapter, you will learn how to connect to the database server and
issue simple commands to the POSTGRESQL server.

At this point, the book makes the following assumptions:

* You have installed POSTGRESQL.
* You have a running POSTGRESQL server.
* You are configured as a POSTGRESQL user.
* You have a database called test.

Now, Joshua was talking about getting PostgreSQL started, which Bruce assums
you already know.

Anyway, I must admit that if you have PG installed and running, which is very
simple on normal Linux distributions, this book gives a huge boost to any
newbie.

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués | mmarques(at)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar