Re: Open 7.4 items

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.4 items
Date: 2003-10-05 13:34:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> >> Improve speed of building of constraints during restore
>
> > Did we get consensus on what to do with this,
>
> Not really, it was still up in the air I thought. However, the
> discussion will become moot if we don't have an implementation
> of the faster-checking alternative to look at pretty soon. Do you
> have something nearly ready to show?

Last I remember, there was the idea to make ALTER TABLE use a query to
check all constraints at once, rather than per row, _and_ there was an
idea to turn it off by the superuser. However, if we get the first one,
and it is fast, we might not even use the second one.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us