Re: fix log_min_duration_statement logic error

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fix log_min_duration_statement logic error
Date: 2003-10-05 13:17:25
Lists: pgsql-patches

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > Sure it can. You're essentially arguing that DBAs are too dumb to match
> > up matching query and duration log outputs. I don't buy that. I think
> > they'll be analyzing their logs with little Perl scripts anyway, and
> > that consistency of log output format will be worth more to those
> > scripts than sometimes having related items all on one log line.
>
> When you're dealing with a large installation, these little Perl scripts
> become difficult. I've just had to deal with a similar issue with a
> popular MTA which spreads the relevant log information over several lines.
> If you're generating 500 MB of log output a day, it becomes a problem.

I can imagine. I wasn't sure how I would write Perl code to join things
via pid. I am sure it can be done (load into hash), but it wasn't
trivial like grep.

Peter, any problems with pid wrap-around? I am thinking we need to
prepend a "wrap count" on the front of the pid output for 7.5.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us