Re: State of Beta 2

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Vivek Khera <khera(at)kcilink(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: State of Beta 2
Date: 2003-09-23 19:17:01
Lists: pgsql-general

actually, I didn't get near that kind of benefit ... with wal disabled,
and sort_mem/checkpoint_segments at default, I got:

import start: 22:31:38
end: 23:21:42 (~50min)
buffers: 64
sort_mem: 1024
wal disabled: yes

with checkpoint_segments and sort_mem raised, I shaved about 8min:

import start: 15:56:07
end: 16:38:56 (~42min)
buffers: 640
sort_mem: 102400
checkpoint_segments: 64
wal disabled: yes
fsync disabled: yes

As a side note, a default install with 64 shared memory buffers came in
around 56min ... then again, if looking at percentages, that is about a
25% improvement ... it just doesn't look to be that big looking at the
straight #s :)