Re: Stored Procedures

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: bugbug(at)shaw(dot)ca
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stored Procedures
Date: 2003-04-12 18:10:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dennis,

> Porting my simple stored procedures to functions seems a little too
> daunting for me. There doesnt seem to be much direct translation.

There isn't *any* direct translation. Transact-SQL, the language your
procedures are written in, is a DIFFERENT LANGUAGE from SQL, PL/pgSQL, and
the other languages available for PostgreSQL. There is no direct
conversion, any more than there is between Tcl and Visual Basic.

You're either going to have to re-write your procedures, or you should
re-evaluate the cost of keeping MS SQL Server. Or perhaps migrate to SyBase
SQLAnywhere, which is based on the same code and is more directly compatible.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions