Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-21 18:06:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:
> > But isn't that like saying that the spec doesn't apply to libpq at all.
> > Why would autocommit not apply but other queries specification apply?
>
> No, you're missing the point. Essentially all the client libraries
> offer their own autocommit behavior on top of what the spec says.

Well, which ones? jdbc (which prevers the server autocommit), ecpg,
odbc (?), and Perl. Anyone else?

> libpq is alone in not having any such client-side logic. So it's not
> a foregone conclusion that we should implement autocommit on/off logic
> on the server side as a substitute for adding it to libpq. We have
> now tried doing it on the server side, and we are finding that we don't
> like the side-effects; so it's time to revisit that decision.

My concern is bloating the API for all languages based on libpq, and
psql and stuff like that. Heck, even pgadmin would have to have a
button for it because a SET couldn't control it.

I know the server-side isn't optimal, but is the alternative worse?

Also, if Peter wants clients to be able to just issue a query and know
it commits, should we just disable setting autocommit in postgresql.conf
and per-user/db, and force applications to turn it on explicitly?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us