Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-21 18:00:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> But isn't that like saying that the spec doesn't apply to libpq at all.
> Why would autocommit not apply but other queries specification apply?

No, you're missing the point. Essentially all the client libraries
offer their own autocommit behavior on top of what the spec says.
libpq is alone in not having any such client-side logic. So it's not
a foregone conclusion that we should implement autocommit on/off logic
on the server side as a substitute for adding it to libpq. We have
now tried doing it on the server side, and we are finding that we don't
like the side-effects; so it's time to revisit that decision.