Setting of "D" or "PGDATA" option for data storage location

From: "John Tankersley" <johntankersle(at)mybluelight(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Setting of "D" or "PGDATA" option for data storage location
Date: 2003-02-02 03:00:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

My name is John Tankersley. I am seeking some help in
setting the "D" or "PGDATA" option for where the data will be stored under postgresql. I am running Suse Linux 8.0 version on my system. Here is what I've done.
initdb is located in directory /usr/bin/
I am having trouble with getting the data directory established. Do I set it up under my userid of "John
"? When I am logged in as "John" I change to "su" to create the directory.
Please advise.
John
johntankersle(at)mybluelight(dot)com

Sign up for Internet Service under $10 dollars a month, at http://isp.BlueLight.com