Re: nested transactions

From: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: nested transactions
Date: 2002-12-10 03:20:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am going to work on nested transactions for 7.4.
>
> My goal is to first implement nested transactions:
>
> BEGIN;
> SELECT ...
> BEGIN;
> UPDATE;
> COMMIT;
> DELETE;
> COMMIT;
>
> and later savepoints (Oracle):
>

> BEGIN;
> SELECT ...
> SAVEPOINT t1;
> UPDATE;
> SAVEPOINT t2;
> DELETE;
> ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT t2;
> COMMIT;
>
> I assume people want both.

Yep.

My question is: how do you see cursors working with nested
transactions?

Right now you can't do cursors outside of transactions.
Subtransactions would complicate things a bit:

BEGIN;
DECLARE CURSOR x ...
BEGIN
(is cursor x visible here? What are the implications of using it if
it is?)
COMMIT;
COMMIT;

Would we only allow cursors within the innermost transactions? If we
allow them anywhere else, why retain the requirement that they be used
within transactions at all?

--
Kevin Brown kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com