Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Date: 2002-12-10 01:47:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > First off, I'd like to ask everyone to CUT IT OUT WITH THE $^*&^(at)** FLAMING,
> > ALREADY! People are *attacking* each other instead of disagreeing.
>
> Amen. This was first time 'round for the advocacy group, and it's not
> surprising that there are some things they did wrong, or at least could
> have done better. Can't we discuss the matter like a group of
> reasonably friendly people? I think we all have the same end goals
> in mind, so I don't see the need for unpleasantness.

Agreed. Here's a story:

Myself and a few people wanted live animals for a manger scene on our
church lawn for Christmas. Many thought it was a bad idea, but we went
ahead anyway. It was a huge success, but then people complained we
didn't have enough people on the lawn to greet the hundreds of visitors.

Moral of the story: if you take risks, expect folks to complain. And,
even if you succeed, others will complain you didn't anticipate the
success.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us