Re: backing up corrupt database

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: <terry(at)ashtonwoodshomes(dot)com>, "Postgres (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: backing up corrupt database
Date: 2002-10-30 19:02:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday 30 Oct 2002 3:56 pm, terry(at)ashtonwoodshomes(dot)com wrote:
> My first post didn't work, so here goes again
>
> I want to backup my database, which appears to be corrupt. The projects
> table is corrupt:
> bash$ pg_dump devtest2
> pg_dump: Attempt to lock table "projects" failed. ERROR: cannot find
> attribute
> 8 of relation projects
>
> When I try to drop this corrupted table:
> devtest2=# drop table projects;
> ERROR: cannot find attribute 8 of relation projects
>
> How can I manually purge this table from the system tables so that I can
> run a backup and then recreate the database?

Well, pg_class contains the tables - relname holds the name. I've just tried
deleting a table from it and using pg_dump and it seemed to work.

Having said that, I'd be tempted to pg_dump all the other tables individually
and then give it a go - I'm always a little uneasy about tinkering with the
system tables even when the developers say it should be fine.

--
Richard Huxton