Re: Hot Backup

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot Backup
Date: 2002-10-24 20:11:28
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 10:42:00AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> I think you missed the part of the thread where the nuclear bomb hit the
> data center. hmm... maybe it wasn't a nuclear bomb, but it was getting
> there. :-)

No, I didn't miss it. Have a look at the Internet Society bid to run
.org -- it's available for public consumption on ICANN's site. One may
belive that, if people are launching nuclear attacks, suicide
bombings, and anthrax releases, the disposition of some set of data
one looks after is unlikely to be of tremendous importance. But
lawyers and insurers don't think that way, and if you really want
PostgreSQL to be taken seriously in the "enterprise market", you have
to please lawyers and insurers.

Having undertaken the exercise, I really can say that it is a little
strange to think about what would happen to data I am in charge of in
case a fairly large US centre were completely blown off the map. But
with a little careful planning, you actually _can_ think about that,
and provide strong assurances that things won't get lost. But it
doesn't pay to call such questions "silly", because they are
questions that people will demand answers to before they entrust you
with their millions of dollars of data.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada