Re: How do i return a dataset from a stored procedure

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: teknokrat <teknokrat(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How do i return a dataset from a stored procedure
Date: 2002-07-05 16:21:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 01:32:33AM -0700, teknokrat wrote:
> I can't figure out how to return a group of rows from a function
> written in plpgsql (or plsql for that matter). The only way i have
> seen it done is with a setof table return value in sql. But since the
> query was a single select anyway i don't see the point of this. Is
> there a way of creating a temporary table in a procedure and using it
> as the output?

Search the list archives (through groups.google.com - it's
comp.databases.postgresql) or see the developer docs for PL/pgSQL. You
can achive that effect by returning a cursor in PG 7.2 (the section on
returning cursors is ommitted from the current docs in
www.postgresql.org/idocs, so you need to look at the developer docs - see
www.us.postgresql.org).

-Roberto

--