Re: About referential integrity.

From: David BOURIAUD <david(dot)bouriaud(at)ac-rouen(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About referential integrity.
Date: 2002-02-26 07:51:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

Le Lundi 25 Février 2002 16:01, vous avez écrit :

Hi to all !
First of all, thanks to the ones who answered me, for I didn't know that it
wasn't a SQL specification, though I suspected it, and I didn't even suspect
that it could roughly done with the "NATURAL JOIN" specificated in the "FROM"
clause.

Anyway, couldn't it be an extention to postgreSQL ? If you have heard about
Business Objects, you should know that it can do it very well provided you
draw the relationchips between the tables of your database. And it's of much
use, since you just have to concentrate on the fields you want to fetch and
the program takes care of the relations and handles group by, order by and
where clause.

As of PostgreSQL, I don't think it would be a hard thing to put on, since the
relations are stored in a system table, including the fields the tables are
linked by. A sort of syntax :

select *
from AUTO JOIN t1, t2;

should do the stuff, and leave the SQL/92 and 99 specifications alone !

--
David BOURIAUD
In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have