Re: About referential integrity.

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: David BOURIAUD <david(dot)bouriaud(at)ac-rouen(dot)fr>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About referential integrity.
Date: 2002-02-26 21:08:28
Lists: pgsql-sql

David,

> Anyway, couldn't it be an extention to postgreSQL ? If you have heard
> about
> Business Objects, you should know that it can do it very well
> provided you
> draw the relationchips between the tables of your database. And it's
> of much
> use, since you just have to concentrate on the fields you want to
> fetch and
> the program takes care of the relations and handles group by, order
> by and
> where clause.

Certainly it could. However, the project needs a really persuasive
reason to transgress the SQL standard. That is, substantial
funcitonality needs to be gained from the extension, sufficient to
offset the issues raised with porting applications to and from
Postgresql.

However, there appears to be a way to give you what you want without
violating the standard: we could make Natural Join work for
foriegn-keyed columns, not just columns with similar names. This would
give us some useful funcitionality without breaking the standard.

I understand from Stephan that there is some technical problem with
this, but we could add it to the TODO list, yes?

-Josh Berkus