Re: RTLD_LAZY considered harmful (Re: pltlc and pltlcu

From: David Terrell <dbt(at)meat(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RTLD_LAZY considered harmful (Re: pltlc and pltlcu
Date: 2002-02-15 02:08:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 07:49:57PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I also believe that this will produce more consistent cross-platform
> behavior: so far as I could learn from googling, systems that do not
> define RTLD_NOW/RTLD_LAZY all act as though the mode were RTLD_NOW,
> ie, immediate binding.
>
> Any objections to modifying all the port/dynloader files this way?

OpenBSD:
The dlopen() function takes a name of a shared object as its first argu-
ment. The shared object is mapped into the address space, relocated, and
its external references are resolved in the same way as is done with the
implicitly loaded shared libraries at program startup.

The path argument can either be an absolute pathname or it can be of the
form ``lib<name>.so[.xx[.yy]]'' in which case the same library search
rules apply that are used for ``intrinsic'' shared library searches. The
second argument currently has no effect, but should be set to DL_LAZY for
future compatibility.

That last sentence being key....

--
David Terrell | "War is peace,
Prime Minister, Nebcorp | freedom is slavery,