Re: v7.2b3 packaged, but not announced beyond here yet ...

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: v7.2b3 packaged, but not announced beyond here yet ...
Date: 2001-11-23 04:08:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 22 November 2001 12:57 pm, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> As usual, I want to give it ~24hrs to perculate through the mirrors before
> doing a larger announce, but if anyone would like to take a quick test
> through and make sure the packaging isn't missing anything, the tar files
> are avaialble at:

> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/beta

> Let us know if there are any problems and we'll re-package as appropriate

[back on-list]

After much help from Marc, and a good tarball (apparently), we have RPMs.
Regression does the expected thing on RedHat 7.2 (locale settings prevent a
complete PASS -- the diffs are attached for those who are curious).

RPMs for testing are at
ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/beta/RPMS/{SRPMS|redhat-7.2}

Many thanks to Marc and PeterE for the man pages and the html docs being
built again, and a special thank you to Peter for the initial patchset that
allowed a smooth build relatively quickly. Oh, and Marc, the man pages and
the html docs ARE being built properly for the RPMset's consumption.

Please test this RPMset if you do RPM work, but also consider them BETA.
That of course means that 'rpm -Fvh' on your production server is not
recommended.

Be sure, if upgrading, to dump out your whole database system first, as the
migration tools are a little finicky. This is, after all, a major version
upgrade.

I'll make a more public announcement after Marc makes a more public 7.2b3
announcement.

Developers who are a member of group 'pgsql' on cvs.postgresql.org and who
want to build RPMsets for other distributions/architectures, feel free to do
so and upload into that tree, setting up your own subdir. Group write is and
should be set appropriately. Yes, Thomas, that means you and Mandrake
whichever you're running. :-)

Others who wish to build RPMs for non-redhat-7.2 architectures, contact me
off-list with locations and details.

Note that due to the possibility of third-party Trojan RPMsets, those who can
rebuild from the src rpm should do so for testing. Signed binary RPMs for
distributions will likely be generated by those distributors once we have a
final release. I will also likely sign a final RPM release, with my public
key being available on the ftp site.

Enjoy! (If I sound cheery, well, there's some sort of chemical in turkey meat
that, if consumed in a large enough quantity, makes you very cheerful --
almost jolly. :-)).

And, as today is Thanksgiving in the 'States, I'll just add to this
announcement my THANK YOU to all the developers, contributors, testers, and
users of this magnificent RDBMS we call PostgreSQL.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Attachment Content-Type Size