Re: TODO item inquiry/claim

From: Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO item inquiry/claim
Date: 2001-11-18 23:25:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 18 Nov 2001 at 18:17 (+0100), Peter Eisentraut wrote:
| Brent Verner writes:
|
| > * Add table name mapping for numeric file names
|
| > It's been tested with 7.1 and 7.2bN and is basically a few c functions
| > that allow (approximate) reports of disk usage (in Kb) per database,
| > and per relation (only on the current database, for now).
|
| I've written on like that a while ago:
|
| http://webmail.postgresql.org/~petere/dbsize.html
|
| The tarball can be rolled into contrib -- now that I think of it I don't
| know why I never did that.

Can you put your code in contrib? I've seen atleast a few other
users wanting to measure disk use.

| Never imagined this would have anything to do with that TODO item, though.
| I figured oid2name accomplished that.

Yeah, but it address one inconvenience caused by the oid-named files.
Even after reading through the thread[1], I'm not sure what the desired
solution to the problem is. There seem to be two reasons to know
the filename->(db|rel) mapping.

1) resource usage [solved]
2) data recovery from db failure.

Are there any other reasons an admin needs to know the actual
filenames the system is using? Please reply if you have any.

I really have no idea what all would be involved in recovering a
database (or a single relation, if possible), so I would appreciate
suggestions on what needs to be done to address this issue WRT the
filename->(db|rel) mappings. There was not a concensus on what the
proper solution would look like; some suggested maintaining symlinks,
other suggested a separate file of mappings. If someone would tell
me what a reliable solution would be, I'll work at implementing it
for inclusion in one of the 7.2.X maintenance releases.

cheers.
brent

[1] http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=114680

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing." -- Duane Allman