Re: MySQL Gemini code

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL Gemini code
Date: 2001-07-18 15:45:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> And this press release
>
> http://www.nusphere.com/releases/071601.htm
>
> also explains why they had to do it this way. They disagreed
> with the policy that every code added to the core system must
> be owned by MySQL AB, so that these guys can sell it for
> money in their commercial licenses.

This is interesting. They mention PostgreSQL twice as an example to
emulate for MySQL. They feel the pressure of companies involved with
PostgreSQL and see the benefit of a community around the database.

On a more significant note, I hear the word "fork" clearly suggested in
that text. It is almost like MySQL AB GPL'ed the MySQL code and now
they may not be able to keep control of it.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us