Re: select within a fucntion

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Sinuhi Arroyo <sinuheag(at)isoco(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: select within a fucntion
Date: 2001-01-19 19:47:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sinuhi Arroyo wrote:
> I`mtrying to make a select which envolves two tables with in a
> function....if the query is written this way: (this is just an example,
> not my query)
>
> a := (select count(*) from xx);
>
> it works fine, but if I type the query like this
>
> select count(*) from xx;
>
> it throws a message that says unexpected query in exec_stmt_execsql.
> If anyone knows how to fix it, it woul be great.
> Thanx

What should this "select count(*) from xx;" be good for, if
you don't want to use the result? You can of course do
"perform select ..." because that'd use another PL/pgSQL
executor construct that doesn't complain about getting an
unused return value, but I still wonder why you want to waste
CPU and IO (bought an oversized system?).

Jan