Re: full text indexing

From: Titus Brown <titus(at)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Poul L(dot) Christiansen" <poulc(at)cs(dot)auc(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: full text indexing
Date: 2000-09-27 20:21:32
Lists: pgsql-general

-> In my PostgreSQL database I have a lot of newspaper articles (size:
-> 100mb now, growing beyond 1gb within few months).
-> I wan't to use full text indexing so that users can search the articles
-> with a keyword and have the results in less than one second.
->
-> How do I accomplish that?
->
-> Does PostgreSQL have this feature?
->
-> Which 3rd party indexing tools are available that easily interoperate
-> with PostgreSQL?

I wouldn't say "easy" -- you have to have a static image of your database
on disk somewhere -- but 'glimpse' works quite well and is fast enough
to do 1gb that quickly.

http://glimpse.cs.arizona.edu/

I have a tool to let you do searches on a glimpse database from within
AOLserver at http://www.idyll.org/~t/www-tools/. It's been working out
quite well for me.

cheers,
--titus