RE: Berkeley DB license

From: "Michael A(dot) Olson" <mao(at)sleepycat(dot)com>
To: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: Berkeley DB license
Date: 2000-05-17 18:21:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 10:32 AM 5/17/00 -0700, Mikheev, Vadim wrote:

> But Mike Mascari raised up very interest issue about am I *allowed* to
> view the code at all. If we'll decide to continue with our own
> smgr+WAL I'll not be able to free my mind from what I've seen
> in SDB code. So..?

Berkeley DB implements a write-ahead log and two-phase locking using
well-known techniques from the literature (see, eg, Transaction
Processing by Gray et al). Hell, I've seen the server code for
Teradata, Illustra, and Informix, and have managed to make a living
in the industry for fifteen years anyway.

mike