Re: [HACKERS] Patch attached...

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Patch attached...
Date: 2000-02-05 05:05:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Attached is a patch for the ONLY inheritance
> functionality...
>
> *) It includes a SET compatibility mode.
> *) The overhead for non-inheritance has
> been cut down to 30 microseconds (on a pc).
> *) It needs an initdb.
>
> Comments welcome.

One problem is that you use SearchSysCacheTupleCopy while
SearchSysCacheTuple is more appropriate. You need Copy only when you
are going to be using the cache tuple for an extended period. Looks
like the rest of that particular function is OK.

However, I have received an objection from someone on another issue
related to the patch. There are no documentation changes for that
patch. That includes the SET manual page, and any other place
Inheritance is mentioned. You also need to update
include/catalog/catversion.h because initdb is required.

I will wait for a new patch that has these changes, and any others
mentioned by people. Thanks.