Re: pgAdmin hang on connection drop/reconnect

From: "Willy-Bas Loos" <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "Maciek Sakrejda" <msakrejda(at)truviso(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin hang on connection drop/reconnect
Date: 2008-04-07 16:18:41
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

We also have issues with connections ending abrubtly. Not only with pgAdmin
by the way.
We're at the end of a DSL line, and the connection usually has a lot of
hiccups.
After one of those hiccups, you have to wait for at least 30 seconds to find
out what happened, after which you get a correct error message, and a dialog
suggesting to close the server browser.
Sometimes, not quite reproducable, pgAdmin will crash instead of showing the
error message.
During these 30 seconds, during which, presumably, pgAdmin waits for a
server response, interaction with any of the pgAdmin windows is not
possible, so that queries cannot be saved, nor can the request be cancelled.

It seems that the main window in pgAdmin is more sensitive to these hiccups
than the SQL window. Sometimes (it's hard to say exactly when, because you
can't notice the hiccups otherwise) the main window will not work anymore,
whereas the SQL window will.
You can trick pgAdmin to reconnect by pressing the "new" button in the SQL
window, the new window will have a connection (copy paste the query and
close the stale window).
But it would be MUCH nicer (these hiccups are driving us crazy) if pgAdmin
would be less sensitive. For example, reconnect when there is user activity
after connection is lost. Also, it would be nice if there would be the
option to cancel the query once you notice that the connection has been
lost, and the possibility to save your work in those 30-50 secs that
sometimes feel like 30 minutes.

Cheers, btw, i am a great pgAdmin fan.

WBL