Re: [GENERAL] [Fwd: Maximum filesize of one file]

From: Martin Weinberg <weinberg(at)osprey(dot)astro(dot)umass(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>, weinberg(at)osprey(dot)astro(dot)umass(dot)edu
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] [Fwd: Maximum filesize of one file]
Date: 1999-08-20 12:44:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Bruce Momjian wrote on Mon, 16 Aug 1999 14:24:57 EDT
>> [. . .]
>> Currently, pgsql 6.5.x breaks up the files containing
>> tables into roughly 1 GB chunks. My question is: will
>> pgsql do the same for the files containing the indices?
>>
>> Correction to info in my previous post: my index files are
>> approaching 1GB not 2GB.
>
> I think so.

Peter Mount wrote on Mon, 16 Aug 1999 14:37:06 EDT
> It should do, as it's the StorageManager that does the splitting, and
> tables/indices both use the StorageManager.
>
> This also includes the current LargeObject implementation, as they are
> currently implemented as a table/index pair.

I build a large database and index to test this and, yes, indeed
it *DOES WORK*.

Thanks to Peter Mount and Bruce Momjian for their quick replies
and info.

I will be contructing 100 GB database in the next few weeks. I
try to post some scaling stats when it's up and running.

--Martin

Martin Weinberg Phone: (413) 545-3821
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy FAX: (413) 545-2117/0648
530 Graduate Research Tower
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003-4525