Speed of joins using sparse indexes

From: Roberto Moreda <moreda(at)sanluis(dot)net>
To: gpsql-general <pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Speed of joins using sparse indexes
Date: 1999-08-09 13:39:35
Lists: pgsql-general

This mail tries to explain the solution that I've found to address the
problem of the joins that uses tables with very sparse indexes.

The exact problem was :

How can I manage the problem of select a few rows with a boolean atribute
when they are 5 rows with flag='Y' in a table of 100000 rows?
I't must to be an index, but
the optimizer asumes that a Seq Scan is more cheap... yes, yes... I know :
if I ask for the 100000 rows with flag='N' then Seq Scan is the solution,
but the interesting query is the other : to extract the 5 rows with
flag='Y' from whitin the 100000 rows with the flag='N'.

A possible solution to optimize this kind of query is to create an auxiliar
table with the id's of the 5 rows with flag='Y', maintained by rules watching
the attribute flag in the target table. In this manner, I never do a
update/insert in the flag table and I replace the "flag='Y'" in the query in
favour of "TABLE.id=FLAG_TABLE.id" (another join).

It's a kind of tell to Postgres "Hey, I'm very interested in the rows with
flag='Y'" ... :) and the results in speed-up are amazing.

I think is better than "fake" a dense index to change the behaviour of the
optimizer.

Any suggestions?

Roberto.

... sorry for my English ;)