Re: [HACKERS] Selectivity estimates paper, and Mariposa

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Selectivity estimates paper, and Mariposa
Date: 1999-08-02 20:44:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 12:01:03AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > Well, I'm more interested in putting my effort into making the system
> > do the right thing without help. Manual overrides are OK as long as
> > you remember to revisit the settings whenever anything changes ...
> > otherwise your manual optimization can become manual pessimization ...
> >

> Hey Tom -
> Ran across this paper, about an interesting approach, pulling in the indices
> to aid in selectivity estimates.
>
> http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/papers/CSD-98-1021.pdf
>
> I grabbed this from a link at:
>
> http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/papers/
>
> while looking at the Mariposa work ( http://mariposa.cs.berkeley.edu)
> from the Sequoia2000 project. I've convinced my team to let me spend
> a couple days analyzing what it would take to fold the remote access
> features of Mariposa into the current PostgreSQL tree. I grabbed the
> alpha-1 code (June 23, 1996) which seems to be based on an early version
> of Postgres95. Interesting to see all the academic cruft you guys have
> already cleaned out ;-)

We still have a directory called tioga which is also related to
Mariposa. Basically, at the time, no one understood the academic stuff,
and we had tons of bugs in general areas. We just didn't see any reason
to keep around unusual features while our existing code was so poorly
maintained from Berkeley.

The mariposa remote access features looked like they were heavily done
in the executor directory. This makes sense assuming they wanted the
access to be done remotely. They also tried to fix some things while
doing Mariposa. A few of those fixes have been added over the years.