Selectivity estimates paper, and Mariposa

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Selectivity estimates paper, and Mariposa
Date: 1999-08-02 20:26:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 12:01:03AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> Well, I'm more interested in putting my effort into making the system
> do the right thing without help. Manual overrides are OK as long as
> you remember to revisit the settings whenever anything changes ...
> otherwise your manual optimization can become manual pessimization ...

Hey Tom -
Ran across this paper, about an interesting approach, pulling in the indices
to aid in selectivity estimates.

http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/papers/CSD-98-1021.pdf

I grabbed this from a link at:

http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/papers/

while looking at the Mariposa work ( http://mariposa.cs.berkeley.edu)
from the Sequoia2000 project. I've convinced my team to let me spend
a couple days analyzing what it would take to fold the remote access
features of Mariposa into the current PostgreSQL tree. I grabbed the
alpha-1 code (June 23, 1996) which seems to be based on an early version
of Postgres95. Interesting to see all the academic cruft you guys have
already cleaned out ;-)

Ross
--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer