Re: [GENERAL] Performance

From: "Rudy Gireyev" <rgireyev(at)cnmnetwork(dot)com>
To: Statistical Solutions <statsol(at)statsol(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Performance
Date: 1999-03-30 19:19:00
Lists: pgsql-general

[snip]

> The third is the SPARC chip's cache versus the Intel chip's cache. I know
> SUN and Ross were making chips with as little as 128 cache, and the SPEC
> marks for the 128 v. 256 v 512 v 1024 cache are phenomenal. So just out
> of curiousity, what's the cache size on the SPARC and Intel chips
> respectively?

1) All Celerons ship with a 128K on chip cache. Which means the cache runs
at the same clock rate as the chip.
2) The PIIs ship with 512K cache, however it's level 2 so it only runs at bus
speed.
3) The Xeon has different sizes of on chip cache that runs at the clock speed.
The Xeon is _the_ processor to be used in a highly loaded server based on the
Intel architecture.