Re: [HACKERS] Bug in postgresql-6.3.2

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hamish(dot)N(dot)MARSON(at)British-Airways(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Bug in postgresql-6.3.2
Date: 1998-05-22 04:33:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Quick note... Just to say that I found a bug in postgres 6.3.2 that I just this
> minute downloaded from the ftp site... It doesn't compile under AIX 4.2.1 with
> the latest C for AIX ver 3.1.4
>
> It's only aminor problem, some of the variables in pqcomm.c are declared as
> int, and being passed to functions that expect a long * variable (Actually the
> function paramaters are declared as size_t).
>
> The fix is to change the addrlen variable used on line 673 to a size_t instead
> of an int, and also for the len variable used on line 787.
>
> Sorry... No diffs... No time, and I dont' subscribe to the list... I just like
> postgres (Maybe I'll subscribe one day... Too busy at the moment).

The line you are complaining about is:

if ((port->sock = accept(server_fd,
(struct sockaddr *) & port->raddr,
&addrlen)) < 0)

while BSDI has accept defined as:

int accept(int s, struct sockaddr *addr, int *addrlen);

So AIX has the last parameter defined as size_t, huh? I looked at the
accept manual page, and addrlen is the length of the addr field. Hard
to imagine that is ever going to be larger than an int. Does any other
OS have that third parameter as anything but an int*?

We may need to add some aix-specific check on a configure check for
this.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026