Re: CLUSTER VERBOSE (9.1.3)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CLUSTER VERBOSE (9.1.3)
Date: 2012-03-07 20:42:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org> writes:
>> Also, this isn't limited to CLUSTER; anything that rewrites the
>> table and indexes would benefit. Meaning ALTER TABLE that does a
>> full rewrite, and also VACUUM FULL.

> +1. I think we should update ps_status as well as pg_stat_activity as
> all of these table rewrite processes are running.

-1. Updating ps_status is expensive, seriously so on some platforms.
We could likely get away with tracking progress in pg_stat_activity
though.

However, this just reminds me that tracking intrastatement progress in
pg_stat_activity has been discussed before and not much has happened.
Let's please not have a quick kluge that just addresses CLUSTER and not
any of the other aspects of that problem.