Re: pg_dump of regression (again)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump of regression (again)
Date: 2000-09-15 02:16:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> OK - I'll use typname in CREATE AGGREGATE, and see how it hangs together.

> Do you know if the type parser is invoked in function declarations?

Sort of --- it looks like the production is for SimpleTypename not a
full typename. This is something that needs to be cleaned up in the
backend. In the very short run maybe you should avoid format_type here,
but I'm thinking this is something we need to fix for 7.1.

It looks like the main reason for avoiding full typename here is that
the production for Typename will fail on bogus types such as "opaque".
There are cleaner ways to deal with that --- and even more importantly,
gram.y should not be doing table access under any circumstances,
per our prior discussions about being able to syntax commands after
the current transaction has aborted. My thought at the moment is
to postpone the check for "setof" until later in parse analysis.
Thomas, any comments?