Re: bgwriter changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Zeugswetter Andreas DAZ SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bgwriter changes
Date: 2004-12-14 19:40:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Zeugswetter Andreas DAZ SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at> writes:
> Is it possible to do a patch that produces a dirty buffer list in LRU order
> and stops early when eighter maxpages is reached or bgwriter_percent
> pages are scanned ?

Only if you redefine the meaning of bgwriter_percent. At present it's
defined by reference to the total number of dirty pages, and that can't
be known without collecting them all.

If it were, say, a percentage of the total length of the T1/T2 lists,
then we'd have some chance of stopping the scan early.