Re: Git conversion status

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Git conversion status
Date: 2010-09-22 20:55:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Alvaro Herrera
>> As far as I can see, I need to go to the master clone, run a checkout
>> and pull on each branch, and *then* a pull on the local clone updates to
>> the latest head on that branch. It is not enough to pull when the
>> master branch is checked out.

> Ah, crap. You're right. Sucktastic.

As far as I can tell so far, the multiple-workdir setup dominates all
the others in terms of minimizing the amount of "git pull" monkeywork.
You still have to remember to do that (or some equivalent) in each
workdir to update that workdir, but that's no worse than with multiple
CVS checkout directories. And the amount of network overhead is a LOT
less than with multiple CVS checkouts.

(In particular, I'm avoiding Andrew's preferred alternative with the
extra local repository; I don't want an asynchronous buffer between me
and the real repository. I guess if you had a really bad network
connection it could be useful, but considering how much better this is
than CVS already, I won't miss whatever savings that might offer.)