Re: Proposed relaxation of CREATE RULE syntax

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: kogorman(at)pacbell(dot)net
Cc: PGSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposed relaxation of CREATE RULE syntax
Date: 2000-10-20 00:59:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman(at)pacbell(dot)net> writes:
> I suggest that the CREATE RULE syntax be relaxed so that
> it is legal to have a list of SELECT commands in a rule.

I don't have any strong objection to this myself, but it would probably
be a good idea to wait and see what Jan thinks of it before we change
it. (Kevin, Jan Wieck is the main developer of our rules stuff, and
is more likely to know about any gotchas in the idea than the rest of
us.) I think Jan is still in Poland someplace, but hopefully he'll
be back in touch before long.

> 2) It breaks nothing (more things become legal)

Given our earlier discussions, it might only be that it exposes things
that don't work :-(.