Re: Issues for named/mixed function notation patch

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Prentice <prentice(at)cisco(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues for named/mixed function notation patch
Date: 2009-10-08 17:58:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2009/10/8 David E. Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>:
> On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:00 PM, Steve Prentice wrote:
>
>>> Committed with a fair amount of corner-case cleanup and refactoring.
>>
>> Woot! Thanks for all the hard work getting this committed (Pavel, Bernd,
>> Jeff, Tom and others)! I've been really looking forward to this feature.
>> Still hoping a solution is found to the plpgsql parser issue. If not, I'll
>> have to resubmit my rejected AS patch. :)
>
> +1 Thanks for getting this done.
>
> Now, does this just apply to PL/pgSQL? If so, what needs to happen for other
> PLs to support the feature?

For other PL is named notation transparent (like defaults). Problem is
only with PL/pgSQL. I spend some time with integration main SQL parser
to PL/pgSQL and this is little bit worse then I thougs. The code is
more ugly - we have to swith between two lexers and problem is with
$1.x elements. I hope, so I'll send patch to next commitfest. Then we
can choise between Steve's patch or my patch.

Pavel