Re: xml type and encodings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, nikolay(at)samokhvalov(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: xml type and encodings
Date: 2007-01-16 05:07:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Are we going to ensure that what we hand back to another client has
>> an appropriate encding decl? Or will we just remove it in all cases?

> We can't do the former, but the latter might be doable.

I think that in the case of binary output, it'd be possible for xml_send
to include an encoding decl safely, because it could be sure that that's
where the data is going forthwith. Not sure if that's worth anything
though. The idea of text and binary output behaving differently on this
point doesn't seem all that attractive ...