Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Strengthen warnings about using pg_dump's -i option.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Strengthen warnings about using pg_dump's -i option.
Date: 2008-04-13 03:07:10
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Silent allow is fine with me, I was just wondering if anyone liked
> the other options better.

Okay, I'm back on the warpath about this after noting yet another user
who thinks he should use -i mindlessly:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2008-04/msg00111.php

I believe the consensus was

* pg_dump and pg_restore should continue to accept -i/--ignore-version
options, to avoid needlessly breaking existing scripts, but these
switches will become no-ops; the version check will occur anyway.

* pg_dump should be fixed to allow server minor version greater than its
own, but not server major version.

Last chance for objections...