Re: Installing Contrib Modules with a Precompiled Binary

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Aram Fingal <fingal(at)multifactorial(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres-General General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installing Contrib Modules with a Precompiled Binary
Date: 2010-09-20 18:11:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Aram Fingal <fingal(at)multifactorial(dot)com> writes:
> I'm using the OS X precompiled binary from EnterpriseDB and want to add the tablefunc contrib module. I haven't been able to find any documentation about how to do this or even whether modules can be added to this binary version.

Most packagers distribute all the contrib modules as a single lump ---
look around, you'll likely find it available from EDB.

> I suppose that it may be a good idea to export my databases and compile from source anyway. I see that Postgres is running as a 32-bit application while I have a 64-bit machine and OS (OS X, Snow Leopard.)

Note that you will need a dump and reload to convert a database from
32-bit to 64-bit. If you don't know that you are running into memory
restrictions, it may not be worth the trouble.