Re: syslog by default?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: syslog by default?
Date: 2001-09-14 22:05:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> OK, that makes sense. My only question is how many platforms _don't_
> have syslog. If it is only NT and QNX, I think we can live with using
> it by default if it exists.

There seems to be a certain amount of confusion here. The proposal at
hand was to make configure set up to *compile* the syslog support
whenever possible. Not to *use* syslog by default. Unless we change
the default postgresql.conf --- which I would be against --- we will
still log to stderr by default.

Given that, I'm not sure that Peter's argument about losing
functionality is right; the analogy to readline support isn't exact.
Perhaps what we should do is (a) always build syslog support if
possible, and (b) at runtime, complain if syslog logging is requested
but we don't have it available.