Re: corruption bug in 7.2.3-RH

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jonathan Ellis <jonathan(at)carnageblender(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: corruption bug in 7.2.3-RH
Date: 2003-02-08 00:07:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Jonathan Ellis <jonathan(at)carnageblender(dot)com> writes:
> when trying to vacuum I got this:
> FATAL 2: PageIndexTupleDelete: corrupted page pointers: lower = 21845,
> upper = 21845, special = 21845

Hmm ... 21845 = hex 5555, and you have the same in at least three places
in the page header ... you have a badly clobbered page there. Check
for hardware problems.

> I experimentally determined the problem was with my "users" table. I
> did a pg_dump -t on it, manually deleted all triggers, dropped the
> table, and loaded from the dump. This fixed it.

But you probably lost a few rows, like whatever was on the trashed page
(or pages?). Can you do anything to crosscheck the data you have left?